Understanding Sleep Apnea
A person is considered to suffer from sleep apnea when they stop breathing for at least 10 seconds up to 30 times or more at night. Snoring may be indicative of sleep apnea, a cessation of breathing during sleep, which can put a great strain on the cardiovascular system. This is why sleep apnea, if left untreated, increases the risk for heart attack and stroke.
Besides snoring, other common symptoms of sleep apnea include:
- Morning headaches
- Dry mouth and throat
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Sudden short-of-breath awakenings, choking, or gasping
- Lost interest in sex
Oral Appliance Approach
For a conservative treatment, we provide a oral appliance made to wear during sleep which gently moves the lower jaw forward, causing a positive change in the position of the tongue.
If poor sleep interferes with your daily activities like remaining alert during meetings, while watching television, or when driving or operating equipment, then discuss it with our doctors. We will help you determine what course of treatment is best for you. Your health is your most priceless possession; you are worth the investment.
Results Of Sleep Loss
Dr. Ariz and Dr. Arami know that where a good night’s sleep does not exist, there are many side effects that can be expected. Lets closely examine how they may affect you personally:
- You are always tired and have no energy or drive
- You wake up feeling awful, sometimes with a terrible headache
- You gain weight
- You are no longer interested in sex
- You have trouble concentrating and are not productive
- You fall asleep anytime, anywhere
- You get angry or irritable on a fairly regular basis
- You feel depressed or notice mood changes
If you think that you or a loved one may suffer from this sleep disorder, please call to schedule a visit to TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre of San Fernando Valley so that you can receive the appropriate treatment for your sleep apnea symptoms located in Northridge, California.